Saturday, March 28, 2009

So Where to Go From Here?

Over the past month I bought two solid stocks, (SNDA) and (TNDM), and stopped out on them after making a conservative decision to trail my stops due to a quick distribution day in this new rally.

Then I reminded myself that I still lack patience and discipline by throwing some money away on (SDS), an ETF that works like a short position in the S&P 500.

So what now? Well, the shorting debacle reinforces my need to formulate as strict a system as possible for myself, with all 'rules' clear and well documented. Before my recent vacation I began some work on my trading system using 'Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom,' and I feel it's critical for me to renew those efforts. I intend to begin posting my work here shortly.

The market may even be seeing the beginning of a new bull market as I type this, or we may be in a bear market rally. It doesn't really matter - at some point there will be a new bull market and the more prepared I am, the more I stand to profit. I've dug myself into a considerable hole in my first two years trading, and I owe it to myself to put the effort in required to dig back out - and then start producing the gains I'm working for.

My goal remains to trade successfully enough to retire from corporate America. I've got a long, long way to go, but I view this like quitting smoking. The only way to get 10 years smoke free is to pick a day and get started. What happened in the past is only valuable as it helps me to improve today.

-Geoff

No comments: