Sunday, November 8, 2009

Some Catching up to do...

Once again I've fallen behind here. Time is short these days so I'll keep it brief.

Towards the end of October when I saw the market heading to a correction I moved up my stops to protect my gains (small though they were). I knew there was an issue with my timing and that by the time I'd gotten my system on track the best days of the rally were over. Therefore I was happy to exit that foray into the market even, and that's exactly what I did. Not bad really for a tough whipsawing market.

Then late last week the market looked as though it may have a follow through day on Thursday, so I took a position in (MED) which I've been looking to get into for a couple of months. The stock did well but the market did not follow through, so I closed the position with a 1.5% gain at the end of the day. Hard to sell a good stock I've wanted to own, but I will not initiate new longs in a correction.

I was out of town for a long weekend and the market did stage a follow through day yesterday which has us once again in a rally. I took a look at my watchlist last night to prepare and found that (HMIN) had released earnings and was up considerably after hours.

I bought (HMIN) on the gap up to a new high at open - this is one of the setups I look for. Additionally, I bought (MELI) as it pulled back within a couple percent of the $42.55 buy point it took out last week. I'm not totally comfortable going in this fast to a new rally, so I kept my stop loss orders tight at 4% to reduce my capital exposure until I see how things shape up.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

HMIN look like a winner Geoff and seems to be continuing the uptrend.

I'm in MELI too and even though it didn't participate in yesterday's FTD and it also traded down today, it should be expected as it moved up almost 30% in the last two weeks.

Buy right, sit tight, sell right.