Saturday, October 25, 2008

Rude Awakening

It's a pretty overwhelming task to comment on the market these days. What we're seeing is certainly historic, perhaps a once-in-a-century event. Though we don't have the kind of sell-off that occurred after the tech bubble burst (yet), we're looking at a global recession that is possibly beyond anything we've seen before. The 'VIX' - or volatility index - which measures fear in the market is DOUBLE the previous high level it had reached in almost 20 years it's been measured. Despite this, each time the market looks like it will capitulate, it instead reverses and closes up or down more moderately. Some of this is due to constant governmental interference (necessary or not depending on one's personal views), and some of it has no real explanation. This market seems to befuddle even the most experienced traders.


I still expect to see the S&P 500 in the 700's, and possibly below. I think the PE ratio for the S&P 500 is still too high for the current earnings expectations, which will continue to be revised downward. Of course I don't buy or sell stocks based on what I think, but I do still follow the behaviour of the market and look for 'setups' to the upside or downside. I don't think there is too much harm in forming expectations of what the market or an individual stock will do, as long as I base my decisions on what is happening, not what I think will happen.

As bad as things are the CAN SLIM method has kept me in cash most of the past year. The few times I've invested in rally's I'm made small gains or stopped out for small losses. I'm happy with my risk management and capital preservation this year. Outside of the cost of trading materials, I'm down only a few percent on my trading portfolio.

Friday I used all of the money in my Traditional IRA (about 1/3rd of my trading portfolio) to purchase a fixed income bond fund (LSBRX). I use this same fund for my son's educational IRA, and I've watched it drop from $15 to $10 a share this year. I would never trade a stock this way, but at a yield of close to 9% now and an all time low on the share price I find this an excellent opportunity for that portion of my portfolio. I believe it will provide solid return by the time I want to put that money back to work in stocks. Meanwhile, the remainder of my portfolio is cash.

Over the past year I've given a lot of thought to the concept of risk management and capital preservation as the most important factor in trading. Since I began investing, I was always aware of the potential for a catastrophic loss on an individual stock, but felt I had this risk managed well with my stop loss orders (never more than 8% below my purchase price). I knew this system does not remove all chance for a catastrophic loss, but felt that it mitigates the risk sufficiently.

Then last night a friend emailed me about a stock that I've owned a couple of times in the past few months - (THOR). This stock has held up better than anything I've seen through this bear market, and was on the top of my watchlist. That is, it was on the top of my watchlist. My friend brought to my attention a news release after the market closed on Friday, where in short (THOR) stated that:
...wear and fatigue related to its implanted heart pump may require surgical replacement that could potentially be fatal...
...In five of these cases, patients expired as a pump replacement was not feasible...
Shares dove to $12 in after hours trading.

IF I'd still held (THOR), there isn't a thing I could've done to foresee this event or protect myself from the price move after-hours (same might even be true if the news came out while the market was open). This stock looked great and showed all the signs of institutional support, then without warning lost half of it's value. That is a very sobering realization for me.

I really still haven't come to terms with this. I plan on doing some research to see if there are further steps I can take to protect myself. I'd like to think the method I use had me out of the stock before the news came out, but couldn't this just as easily have happened if I owned the stock during a rally? I owned (THOR) a week ago - couldn't they have released this news then? Certainly the answer is yes.

This is a further reminder to me what a serious thing stock investing is. It's not nearly as 'fun' as it was when I began - and I think that's good. It's a business, a second job, and a risky one. I need to approach it without emotion, follow my rules, and be aware constantly that the market is still very random and can humble me at any time. It certainly got my attention yesterday.

-Geoff

No comments: