Thursday, April 24, 2008

Welcome, and I hope you find some value here

Ok, why in the hell would I want to create a blog about my experiences investing? Because everybody has a blog and I want one too? Well, sure, but it's more than that.

For one thing, my first year of investing has taught me that a year ago I didn't know squat. I'm getting old enough to know that a year from now I'll also realize I didn't know squat today. The great traders that I've read about had in common the discipline to frequently evaluate their mistakes, and that was invaluable to their success and constant improvement.

I think it's too easy to 'forget' about a bad trade - to mentally write it off for one reason or another. It's too easy for me to let myself off on my bad decisions. That's why I want to document my trading activity AND state of mind AND rationale here so there is no way for me to revise history. Three weeks after a purchase if a trade blows up I want to come back here and see why I purchased that stock and what I can learn from the experience.

I think it also will add to my discipline in advance of a trade if I know I have to come here and post about it. I won't be as likely to take some bonehead risk knowing that I have to post about it here and face derisive heckling.

Finally, I'm now communicating with about a half dozen folks about my trading activity, and honestly it's easier to post what I'm doing here and let you folks subscribe (if you're interested) to receive updates via email than to send it out to each of you.

So, if you're interested in my current portfolio, my watchlist, my thoughts on the market, what I've read (and what I've enjoyed that I read) on investing, or other investing related topics please bookmark this page or use the subscription box to the right to receive updates via email.

Thanks and may we all get wealthy!

-Geoff

No comments: